|Waverly Tennessee Colored School 1870-1946 |
Porch Reed 1947-1966
Waverly Colored School before Porch-Reed
In 1870 there were 1,295 Negroes in Humphreys County, 13 educated females and 20 educated males.
In 1873 there were 86 colored males and 35 females 6 ranging from age 6 to 18.
In 1885 there were 4,488 school children; 260 Negro males, 269 Negro females, 1,981 White males, 1,978 white female. The Humphreys County school system had teachers 5 Negro male, 5 Negro female, 41 White males, and 19 White female.
In l915-1916, there were a total of four colored schools; Waverly Colored School, Spring Creek Colored School, McEwen Colored School, Johnsonville Colored School.
In 1915 to 1945 McEwen Colored School (St. Luke Church McEwen), by 1936 there were fifty Grammar schools, 4 schools for Negro’s.
In 1915 land was acquired by the city of Waverly for the Humphreys County Board of Education from W. B. Nolan. Five acres and 3 rods were selected on a hill the north side of Hwy 13. Beginning at a stake at Mr. John Walker’s northwest corner now called Porch Reed Hill. It was purchased has a educational institution of the Humphrey County School System devoted exclusively to the education of Black Students in the days of segregated public education. It was called the Waverly Colored School.
Mr. Nesbitt and Mr. Lime from Clarksville were two of the first teachers recorded as teaching at the Waverly Colored School in the 1930s. Mrs. Myrtle Reed started ...
Do you like this site?