E-mail: Password:
All Forums >> [Food and Health] >> Medical News and Support >> Swine flu pandemic on the way?
Swine flu pandemic on the way?     Tree Style Printable Version
Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Display name
Message << Previous Topic   Next Topic >>
Swine flu pandemic on the way? - 4/25/2009 3:17:24 PM   
fiery

According to the WHO chief, that's a distinct possibility. 68 have been killed and over 1000 infected in Mexico but it's not stopping there.

quote:

Because cases have been detected in California, Texas and in several sites in Mexico, officials now must work to detect infections and reduce their severity, if possible.

“It’s time to prepare, time to think ahead and to be prepared for some uncertainty,” Schuchat told reporters in a telephone briefing on Saturday.

Article
  Post #: 1
RE: Swine flu pandemic on the way? - 4/26/2009 12:11:05 PM   
fiery

Confirmation now that NYC students are infected. Apparently some went on a Cancun trip a few weeks ago.

Article

(in reply to fiery)
  Post #: 2
RE: Swine flu pandemic on the way? - 4/26/2009 12:21:28 PM   
fiery

With the WHO now taking the additional step of stating swine flu is a public health emergency of international concern and asking that cases be reported, you can expect to see a rise in the numbers as awareness grows and increased testing is carried out. I was reading that quarantine plans are already being put in place as well as a ban on pork.

Next thing I think we'll see is travel restrictions being put in place. I studied the potential impact of bird flu a while back for research purposes on a stock. I feel that gives me a fairly good idea of the most likely scenarios. Not only will the travel restrictions be put in place to safeguard citizens wanting to visit infected countries, but to prevent the disease from coming into uninfected (or at least undetected) countries that are swine flu free.

quote:

GENEVA – Countries planned quarantines, tightened rules on pork imports and tested airline passengers for fevers as global health officials tried Sunday to come up with uniform ways to battle a deadly strain of swine flu. Nations from New Zealand to France reported new suspected cases and some warned citizens against travel to North America.
World Health Organization Director-General Margaret Chan held teleconferences with staff and flu experts around the world but stopped short of recommending specific measures to halt the disease beyond urging governments to step up their surveillance of suspicious outbreaks.

Article

(in reply to fiery)
  Post #: 3
Swine flu - US declares public health emergency - 4/26/2009 12:58:57 PM   
fiery

News just out 11 mins ago.

quote:

WASHINGTON – The U.S. declared a public health emergency Sunday to deal with the emerging new swine flu, much like the government does to prepare for approaching hurricanes.

Officials reported 20 U.S. cases of swine flu in five states so far, with the latest in Ohio and New York. Unlike in Mexico where the same strain appears to be killing dozens of people, cases in the United State have been mild — and U.S. health authorities can't yet explain why.

"As we continue to look for cases, we are going to see a broader spectrum of disease," predicted Dr. Richard Besser, acting chief of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "We're going to see more severe disease in this country."

At a White House news conference, Besser and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano sought to assure Americans that health officials are taking all appropriate steps to minimize the impact of the outbreak.

Top among those is declaring the public health emergency. As part of that, Napolitano said roughly 12 million doses of the drug Tamiflu will be moved from a federal stockpile to places where states can quickly get their share if they decide they need it. Priority will be given to the five states with known cases so far: California, Texas, New York, Ohio and Kansas.

Napolitano called the emergency declaration standard operating procedure — one was declared recently for the inauguration and for flooding. She urged people to think of it as a "declaration of emergency preparedness."

"Really that's what we're doing right now. We're preparing in an environment where we really don't know ultimately what the size of seriousness of this outbreak is going to be."

(in reply to fiery)
  Post #: 4
RE: Swine flu - US declares public health emergency - 4/28/2009 3:52:54 PM   
dianerene

it's mother nature, I tell you ... we finally made her mad!  lol

♥ diane

www.cosmichandmade.com

(in reply to fiery)
  Post #: 5
RE: Swine flu - US declares public health emergency - 4/29/2009 1:09:40 PM   
ChristineB

I agree, it is all so strange.

(in reply to dianerene)
  Post #: 6
RE: Swine flu - WHO raises the alert level to 5 - 4/29/2009 3:40:48 PM   
fiery

Which means a global outbreak is imminent and we're only one level away from it being classified a global pandemic. This is no joke, guys. The 1918 flu pandemic killed 77 million people worldwide. Look how much further people can travel now and how many more are squished into small yet densely populated areas.

Today Germany and Austria are announcing cases and Spain has the very first one  confirmed where the person hasn't even been to Mexico.

quote:

WHO says the phase 5 alert means there is sustained human to human spread in at least two countries. It also signals that efforts to produce a vaccine will be ramped up.
WHO has confirmed human cases of swine flu in Mexico, the United States, Canada, Britain, Israel, New Zealand and Spain. Mexico and the U.S. have reported deaths.WHO Director-General Margaret Chan made the decision Wednesday to raise the alert level from phase 4 — signifying transmission in only one country — after reviewing the latest scientific evidence on the outbreak.

(in reply to ChristineB)
  Post #: 7
RE: Swine flu - WHO raises the alert level to 5 - 4/30/2009 7:55:50 AM   
ChristineB

Very, very scary.  I seem to get absolutely everything, last year I had the first flu case in the state and it was 2 months earlier than it should have been.  I'm very nervous...

(in reply to fiery)
  Post #: 8
RE: Swine flu - WHO raises the alert level to 5 - 4/30/2009 12:17:38 PM   
dianerene

time to stock up on the immunity boosters and surgical masks.

I got sick last week and I am still coughing and my sinuses are still jacked up on one side of my face.  I rarely stay sick more than a few days from allergies, and even more rarely do my sinuses become a mess.  I don't know what is going on, but if I have to suffer through this to stay strong enough to avoid the flu ... I'll take it -lol

♥ diane

www.cosmichandmade.com

(in reply to ChristineB)
  Post #: 9
RE: Swine flu - WHO raises the alert level to 5 - 4/30/2009 12:47:14 PM   
ChristineB

I always get hit hard with allergies so I'm used to it.  But I do not want the flu again of any kind!!!

(in reply to dianerene)
  Post #: 10
RE: Swine flu - WHO raises the alert level to 5 - 5/1/2009 12:00:43 PM   
fiery

quote:

ORIGINAL: dianerene

time to stock up on the immunity boosters and surgical masks.

I got sick last week and I am still coughing and my sinuses are still jacked up on one side of my face.  I rarely stay sick more than a few days from allergies, and even more rarely do my sinuses become a mess.  I don't know what is going on, but if I have to suffer through this to stay strong enough to avoid the flu ... I'll take it -lol

diane, you should call your doctor for goodness sake. It's better to get checked out.

(in reply to dianerene)
  Post #: 11
RE: H1N1 flu - worst case scenario - 5/1/2009 12:22:58 PM   
fiery

quote:

There will be about 1,700 U.S. cases of the new H1N1 flu, aka "swine flu," in the next four weeks under a worst-case scenario, according to a research team's new simulations.

And a second team working independently, about 200 miles away, on exactly the same question came up with a similar forecast.

Article

Masks btw are not that good unless they're going to be of the standard used by health professionals said one official in another report. Apparently it's more of a psychological boost in that people feel they're doing something. What I'm stocking up on is antibacterial soap. That's the first thing that will run out I bet. What seems to help is early treatment with antivirals. But an antiviral is not a vaccine.

Yesterday the news was a vaccine isn't going to be ready until the fall. And that's just when they'll begin to give them out. That's a heck of a long time to allow it to spread unchallenged. And it has plenty of time to mutate in that six months. By the time the vaccine is ready, it may well be ineffective against the current strain. I don't think people comprehend the seriousness of this.

And after all the attention being focused on Mexico as the epicenter and venom directed at Mexicans for bringing it here in some commentary, it turns out it was definitely in California on March 28, probably on March 25. This could be another strain of the virus "of seperate origin", according to the WSJ.

quote:

The first case discovered in California was a 10-year-old boy in San Diego County, who fell ill with a fever March 30.

Health authorities stumbled upon the case by chance. The boy had a throat swab taken at a clinic during a random check, a common procedure by health officials to monitor illness around the U.S.-Mexico border. "We got lucky," said Mr. Chavez. Tests revealed the flu virus didn't match any typical human flu subtype. The CDC received samples April 14 and determined the cause to be the now well-known A/H1N1 influenza.
By the time state and federal epidemiologists reached the family, the boy had recovered.
The second case was a 9-year-old girl in neighboring Imperial County who was treated for a cough and a 104-degree fever March 28; her cousin had fallen ill three days earlier. On April 1, the girl's brother fell ill, too. "We found absolutely no contact with swine," said Paula Kriner, an epidemiologist with the county health department. Tests confirmed on April 17 that the girl had the new strain.

Article

That demonstrates the biggest challenge of this virus. There are too many unknowns. I fully expect WHO to go to the highest pandemic level within 24-48 hours.

< Message edited by fiery -- 5/1/2009 12:25:27 PM >

(in reply to fiery)
  Post #: 12
RE: H1N1 flu - worst case scenario - 5/1/2009 2:42:39 PM   
ChristineB

Two college kids were just diagnosed right near my home.  A little too close for comfort....what the heck.  If I'm going to get it I should have at least had the chance to take a great vacation to Mexico first...just not fair.

(in reply to fiery)
  Post #: 13
RE: H1N1 flu - worst case scenario - 5/2/2009 2:20:49 PM   
fiery

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChristineB

Two college kids were just diagnosed right near my home.  A little too close for comfort....what the heck.  If I'm going to get it I should have at least had the chance to take a great vacation to Mexico first...just not fair.

It sure isn't...and I'd be really worried if it was on my doorstep like that. I know the news seems to toning it down a little now but I'm skeptical as to how much of that is smoke and mirrors so people don't panic.

(in reply to ChristineB)
  Post #: 14
RE: H1N1 flu - Canada says farmer could have given flu ... - 5/2/2009 11:01:50 PM   
fiery

Not only that, but this is a new strain of the virus. So not only is it crossing borders but it now appears capable of not only crossing between human to human, and pig to human, but also back again.

Remember, they've said all along you can't get it from pork and scoffed at other countries like Egypt slaughtering all their pigs. Will that change now? That's what I mean about there being too many variables to take any advice as gospel. Obviously this wasn't anticipated. No one has all the answers nor can predict the turns this will take. All you can do is take as many precautions as possible.

quote:

Canadian officials on Saturday said they have quarantined pigs that tested positive for the virus -- scientifically known as 2009 H1N1 -- at an Alberta farm in what could be the first identified case of pigs infected during the recent outbreak. They said the pigs may have been infected by a Canadian farmer who recently returned from a trip to Mexico, the epicenter of the outbreak that has sickened nearly 660 people.

WHO is still preparing for a pandemic.

quote:

"At this point we have to expect that phase six will be reached," he said, referring to the organization's highest pandemic threat level. "We have to hope that it is not reached."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/02/swine.flu/index.html

(in reply to fiery)
  Post #: 15
H1N1 virus - now 853 confirmed cases - 5/3/2009 2:46:13 PM   
fiery

The latest stats from the WHO make frightening reading.

quote:

The number of known swine flu cases worldwide topped 800 on Sunday, with another 66 cases confirmed in the United States, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported.
var CNN_ArticleChanger = new CNN_imageChanger('cnnImgChngr','/2009/HEALTH/05/03/swine.flu/imgChng/p1-0.init.exclude.html',2,1); //CNN.imageChanger.load('cnnImgChngr','imgChng/p1-0.exclude.html'); The number of confirmed U.S. cases jumped from 160 to 226 by Sunday morning, and the number of states with confirmed cases grew from 22 to 30, the CDC reported. Only one U.S. case has been fatal.
The latest CDC figures bring the number of confirmed worldwide cases to 853.
The World Health Organization reported 787 cases of swine flu, known to scientists as influenza A (H1N1), before the latest U.S. numbers. The WHO said the virus has been confirmed in 17 countries and has contributed to 20 deaths, 19 of them in Mexico.
New York has the most confirmed U.S. cases, with 63; Texas is second, with 40; and California is third, with 26.

Article

(in reply to fiery)
  Post #: 16
Texas woman dies of swine flu - 5/5/2009 9:18:47 PM   
fiery

The first US resident death recorded has happened but it was only a matter of time in my book.

quote:

A Texas woman has died from the swine flu, health officials in that state said Tuesday, marking the second death in the United States linked to the illness and the first of a U.S. resident.
The news came as officials in the United States and Mexico, where the outbreak of the H1N1 virus started, were voicing hope that the worst of the new flu strain may be over.
The woman, who died earlier this week, was from Cameron County in South Texas. The Texas Department of State Health Services said the woman had "chronic underlying health conditions," but did not provide more details.

Article

(in reply to fiery)
  Post #: 17
RE: Texas woman dies of swine flu - 5/8/2009 3:12:47 PM   
ChristineB

This was sad for sure.  It seems, at least from what I've read, that the flu has been attacking those already ill.  This woman had some other illness too.  A young girl in my city just got diagnosed with it today, very scarey.

(in reply to fiery)
  Post #: 18
RE: 3rd US death from swine flu complications - 5/9/2009 11:06:42 PM   
fiery

Yes, that's true, she did. Like ordinary flu, the most vulnerable are those that are very young or in poor health with weakened immune systems. Death #3 has now been reported of a man in his 30s in Washington state, who had an underlying heart condition.

Article

If you look back on the history of the 1918 pandemic, it tells us it began in spring, faded away as summer approached, then came back with a vengeance in the fall to do the real damage. I sure wouldn't be thinking it's past the worst, that's for sure.

What age is the girl, Christine and what's the city doing in response to that? The govt just told the schools to reopen, for goodness sake. I think that was a mistake and too soon. 

(in reply to ChristineB)
  Post #: 19
RE: 3rd US death from swine flu complications - 5/11/2009 9:44:42 AM   
ChristineB

You know what's funny?  (not funny at all really)  I tried to look it up and the article has been removed completely...weird.  If I remember right she was 8 years old or so.  It scares me that the story is gone, and that it is so close to my town.  The little guy is only three years old......

(in reply to fiery)
  Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Food and Health] >> Medical News and Support >> Swine flu pandemic on the way?
Jump to:
Topics 
Blood pressure differences between arms could signal heart risk
Yes you are still at risk for heart stroke and heart problems. If your blood pressure level is hi ...
How to change paediatricians
Five ways to know when your doctor isn’t right for you and your kids, and how to make the switch ...
A Weekly Shot Gets FDA Nod for Type 2 Diabetes
The FDA has given its nod to Bydureon, making it the first weekly treatment for type 2 diabetes, ...
Fever symptoms you should never ignore
As a general rule, the younger your child, the sooner you will need to get him checked out. Here' ...
Why Some Children May 'Grow Out' of Autism
Some kids with autism will no longer qualify for that diagnosis as they grow older. Now a new stu ...