E-mail: Password:
All Forums >> [News] >> Family Issues >> Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Concentration
Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Concentration     Tree Style Printable Version
Page: [1]
Display name
Message << Previous Topic   Next Topic >>
Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Concentra... - 10/16/2009 11:50:53 PM   
ArticlePost

Kids have trouble concentrating. It's a fact of life. More and more children these days are being labeled ADD or ADHD, when in fact, they're just being normal kids. Drugs may lull them into compliant stupor, but why drug your kid when there's another option available?

Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Concentration
http://articles.familylobby.com/406-Focus-for-Kids:-Games-to-Improve-Your-Child's-Concentration.htm
  Post #: 1
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 10/16/2009 11:50:53 PM   
ArticlePost

Thank you so much for this article. People are always so quick to assume that child has a problem and never considering that the child is just being a child. Sometimes they do not pay attention because they would rather be doing something else as do adults. I will try these games and other options. Thanks a million.

missy

(in reply to ArticlePost)
  Post #: 2
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 11/19/2009 12:42:52 AM   
ArticlePost

thank u so much i was worried i was doing something wrong

zarra

Post #: 3
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 2/2/2010 7:27:34 AM   
ArticlePost

My daughter Ella is 3 & a half..& her teacher has concerns about her concentration..i feel at her age not to expect too much from her, but i also feel the teacher might be thinking ADD. As her mother i have no doubts in my mind that my child has ADD..I think most kids this age find it difficult to concentrate...maybe i'm wrong. I'm having her assesed again & development check.Is there anyone out there in the same position as me, i cant help feeling a little worried about it.

Hilary

Post #: 4
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 9/30/2010 6:01:27 AM   
ArticlePost

my son is 8yrs n his concerntration level is very low. his a busy body always wants to know whats the next person doing at the back desk or looks for attention. looking for somewhat similar suff

rita

Post #: 5
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 12/17/2010 7:38:05 PM   
ArticlePost

I have a set of twins and one of them has a problem paying attention in class. As a result, one that pays attention learns faster than the other. I was worried but after playing a couple of the fun focus games in which my daughter who pays less attention actually did well,I realised that the kids have to be motivated to pay attention, nothing more. ADD is a real problem but if diagonised wrongly could cause confidence issues in kids.

poornima

Post #: 6
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 6/22/2011 7:49:53 AM   
ArticlePost

Why on earth don't teachers let children grow at their own pace. I feel so strongly about the labeling of children and the quickness of doctors to prescribe drugs for what is just normal childhood behavior and actually an essential part of their development. Listen to your chid and as for teachers trying to label children with ADD so they can get an easy life in the class room. Go into a montessori classroom and watch children of different ages and abilities just getting on with it at their own pace and thriving on it!

BECKY

Post #: 7
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 6/27/2011 10:33:51 AM   
ArticlePost

I also have twin boys - same situation, the brighter one does not concentrate or complete all his tasks in class. I asked him why - his comments were "My teacher needs to teach us instead of giving us all this work to do" - brilliant !! - Boredom ???

R

Post #: 8
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 6/27/2011 11:22:51 AM   
ChristineB

Hmmm......Talking is nice but I believe that that is followed up with work.

The Traveling Pendant
My Mom's dying wish....

Post #: 9
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 8/5/2011 12:18:23 AM   
ArticlePost

my daughter has joined a new school ,she is in 1st std,in her previous school teachers use to communicate with her in hindi n in new school they just communicate in english she is unable to understand instuction given by teach read her lessons fluently. so in just 2 months i can,t teach full eng naturally the tacher must give her more time to adjust to this environment.my daughter is confused n she feels left out.i feel sorry for her but i have started with countig nos forward n backward she is able do it well. i started talking to her in english,that gradually she'll improve. i;ll try another games also. she goes for singing classes n her teacher is happy with her.is my child a ADD CHILD. PLESE ANYBOBY HAS ANY TIPS PLEASE HELP ME. she does not have aggressive behaviour.

jaya

Post #: 10
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 10/7/2011 10:20:13 AM   
ArticlePost

I would ask the teacher where they are seeing lack of focus. Is it seat work , play time,following the group from place to place, or following directions.When they seat for a lesson is the child looking at the teacher or sitting facing bacwards or following the fly.These answers may help you assess your your child.

ME

Post #: 11
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 1/28/2012 4:30:33 AM   
ArticlePost

thanks for this article. i will progress with help of this article.

sweety

Post #: 12
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 2/1/2012 7:34:29 PM   
ArticlePost

A game that is fun and requires focus that's not on the list is Pick-up-Sticks. If they want to win, they have to slow down, concentrate, and be patient. It helped us teach our child how to be a good loser too.

Iceman

Post #: 13
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 8/23/2012 9:53:24 PM   
ArticlePost

my daughter is nine and her class teachers would report to me that she is always distracted in class and that she lacks focus. Sometimes she's busy talking to her seatmate while the teacher is lecturing, would be drawing on her notebooks during class, and sometimes won't even read or follow instructions carefully. One time her teacher has to remind her twice for not following during her test.. She easily gets bored!

anna

Post #: 14
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 9/7/2012 5:59:06 PM   
ArticlePost

my sons in second grade,, its the third week of class and i bet i have recieved a note everyday except for maybe 3 r 4... im getting frustrated,, hes getting frustrated.. gonna meet with teacher,, they of course want me to take him to dr to be checked, i beleive hes just bored...

worried mom

Post #: 15
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 10/3/2012 9:52:29 AM   
ArticlePost

My son is 12 yrs old now. we have always had issues with his focus, on things he does not like to do or subjects that do not interest him. I have told teachers to kick my backside several times when they say he has ADHD. I had him tested to jshut them up. and NOPE he is a normal kind who gets bored. Children with higher IQs are being labeled ADHD because they are bored. Working on ways to help them focus and release the boared nervous tension that builds up is the best solution.My son has a small stress ball to squeeze in class when he is getting bored and antsy. It was his teacher's suggestion. It works but we have to find other things as well or he gets annoyed with the ball..It is hard issue to deal with but ADHD is NOT THE ONLY diagnosis. it seems to be the excuse. I won;t allow excuses.That is just my 2 cents...

Randi

Post #: 16
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 11/2/2012 11:33:47 AM   
ArticlePost

As a teacher,I understand that all children are different and learn at different rates! Any GOOD teacher would not lable a child or push for a child to be in a special education classroom unless they felt it was beneficial to a child. Teachers do what they can to help students, but as for letting them grow at his or her own pace WE CAN'T! Are you at all familiar with NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND. The state is breathing down our necks to make sure every student is where they should be and does not take anything else into consideration. So basically when a student is growing at their own pace as you would refer to it, it is the teachers fault for them being behind. As a teacher, I am reading these sites to help one of my students to prevent a student to be put into special education or being put on medicine. I am not sure what kinds of teachers you are accustomed to, but they don't work in my school district that's for sure!

Leanne

Post #: 17
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 8/14/2013 1:46:53 AM   
ArticlePost

Hi I have a similar issue this is the second school my son is attending and in both cases I was told that he may be ADD. In the 1st school there were 20 4yr old kids to 1 teacher. currently there are 17 5yr olds to 2 teachers. When I had a meeting with the teacher she said that there aren't any issues with his progression (academic) as he is one of the "bright" kids in the class. My confusion how can you say he may be ADD then. My son told me that school is boring ....what do I do?

John

Post #: 18
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 11/16/2015 11:42:43 AM   
ArticlePost

I'm going through the same thing in kindergarten with my 5 yr old. We are both stressed and I'm concerned she will end up hating school. All the research shows that children learn best when they are active. So school is almost like prison for our kids. (Dramatic but real) I feel bad for my lil one n fearful this will worsen. I just saw on the news today that holding children back from kindergarten one year could be beneficial for their mental health! Good lord. An education reform is sooo overdue. Hopefully all these complaints can help bring these issues to the forefront.

MayMom

Post #: 19
RE: Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Conce... - 11/23/2016 8:56:40 AM   
ArticlePost

My son is a math whizz, english pro, but highly immature. His teacher adores him, but has to make him sit with her to keep his attention. Looking for activities to improve on this. Don't fret, I am writing about this, so that you don't be hard on your kids. They are little, and distraction is not such an abnormal failing. As a mom, I understand that we all need our kids to be super attentive.

Smee

Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [News] >> Family Issues >> Focus for Kids: Games to Improve Your Child's Concentration
Jump to:
Topics 
What To Do When Your Parents Still Love Your Ex-Husband!
I and my husband was separated for 3 months now, he was the love of my life and the father of my ...
Losing Childhood
Now I am a teenager and now I realise that my childhood was not as good as it could be now i am t ...
She Won’t Leave Him Alone! Coping With the Ex-Wife
I have been with my boyfriend for 6 plus months, moved in with him in December 2016. I am good wi ...
“Separated” Married Couples
I highly doubt it "works". People just say that to save face. There is no way a couple ...
Parents and the Only Child
I really enjoyed this article. As a (37 year old male) only child I can relate to so much of what ...