E-mail: Password:
All Forums >> [News] >> Family Issues >> Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones?
Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones?     Tree Style Printable Version
Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Display name
Message << Previous Topic   Next Topic >>
Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 1/24/2008 12:24:03 PM   
ArticlePost

If you ask me if a child should have a cell phone, I will answer yes without any hesitation. I think children today need a cell phone simply for safety sake. There are phone plans and parental restrictions to suit all needs.

Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones?
http://articles.familylobby.com/489-Should-Schools-Allow-Students-to-Have-Cell-Phones.htm
  Post #: 1
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 1/24/2008 1:30:11 PM   
dianerene

I think that they should have them - no one can deny the usefullness of the GPS system on them in the event a child is kidnapped, but in the same respect, how do we enforce using them respectfully?  My daughter is not allowed to use her phone during school (though it doesn't stop them).  The students have all been told to turn them OFF (which I don't agree with) and leave them in their purses/backpacks.  I hope that my daughter complies by at least turing all sound off and keeping it shut away, but she has called me on more than one occasion from the girls' room.

My problem with cell phones is what it has been since they started creating them for MORE than making phone calls ... we have had complaints that students are taking pictures of each other in the locker rooms and then posting them on myspace or other pages of the internet ... recording each other's conversations, then using them to start fights ... sending videos of each other through the internet or in messages to other phones ... THAT is ridiculous.  I am all for the safety of my child, but not when that safety can be compromised by someone else's need of a phone that can do more than call home ... does that make sense?

♥ diane

www.cosmichandmade.com

(in reply to ArticlePost)
  Post #: 2
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 1/24/2008 1:31:02 PM   
julieb

quote:

ORIGINAL: ArticlePost

If you ask me if a child should have a cell phone, I will answer yes without any hesitation. I think children today need a cell phone simply for safety sake. There are phone plans and parental restrictions to suit all needs.

Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones?
http://articles.familylobby.com/489-Should-Schools-Allow-Students-to-Have-Cell-Phones.htm

I agree that children should have cell phones. I also think it is fine to have them in school, with the history of school violence, I for one would like to be able to speak with my child in a school being shot up and know they are ok.
I do not feel children should use them to texted during class, or cheat.

Post #: 3
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 1/24/2008 4:28:25 PM   
jonnyjonny_uk

I think its a great idea for a child to have a mobile in school as long as they have had good directions as to its use. For example its for emergencies and should be on silent during lessons etc.

(in reply to julieb)
  Post #: 4
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 1/24/2008 7:32:20 PM   
fiery

quote:

ORIGINAL: dianerene

I think that they should have them - no one can deny the usefullness of the GPS system on them in the event a child is kidnapped, but in the same respect, how do we enforce using them respectfully?  My daughter is not allowed to use her phone during school (though it doesn't stop them).  The students have all been told to turn them OFF (which I don't agree with) and leave them in their purses/backpacks.  I hope that my daughter complies by at least turing all sound off and keeping it shut away, but she has called me on more than one occasion from the girls' room.

My problem with cell phones is what it has been since they started creating them for MORE than making phone calls ... we have had complaints that students are taking pictures of each other in the locker rooms and then posting them on myspace or other pages of the internet ... recording each other's conversations, then using them to start fights ... sending videos of each other through the internet or in messages to other phones ... THAT is ridiculous.  I am all for the safety of my child, but not when that safety can be compromised by someone else's need of a phone that can do more than call home ... does that make sense?

Yes it does, diane. I think that's horrible that they even use them like that. It takes meanness to a new level eh. Maybe the schools need to stipulate that they can only have a BASIC no-frills phone and nothing else. Sure, they might need to buy another one purely for school but that'd only be about twenty bucks for a simple pay-as-you-go one. OR ban them completely. When I was in school, if you needed to call home you could go to the school office and ask to use their phone but you paid for the call and only did so if it was fairly important (like forgetting to say you needed picked up or something).

I read about a kid's watch once that set off the GPS signal inside it if it was removed from their wrist without some kind of special code input or something like that. It also had a high decibel audible alarm too that you couldn't turn off if I remember right. There's nothing stopping parents buying something like that if that's the function they're looking for.

(in reply to dianerene)
  Post #: 5
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 1/25/2008 11:05:29 AM   
ArticlePost

i think that we should have cell phones because we might need to call our parents in case we get bus left. the teachers have phones so we should be able to have them to.

tay

Post #: 6
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 1/25/2008 11:06:07 AM   
ArticlePost

I think that we should be able to use our cellphones in school because just like you said it can be used for safetty rules. I also think that we should be able to use any other electronic at anytime.

Anonymous

Post #: 7
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 1/25/2008 11:38:42 PM   
Ofear

Definitely kids should have cell phones. I agree with Diane that it can be used in the wrong way by some kids but I still think that the benefits outweigh the downsides. The best every parent can do is to make sure their own kid knows how to use the phone for the right purposes.

Never Fear Ofear.com Phobia Forum

Post #: 8
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 1/28/2008 12:07:20 PM   
ArticlePost

i think that the schools should let their students use their cellphones during school hours. if you agree you should post a comment with this.

kiasa carlton

Post #: 9
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 1/28/2008 12:08:03 PM   
ArticlePost

i think we should be able to have phones to call our parents. the teachers have cell phones and they ring during class. they use theirs during class.

kofi

Post #: 10
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 1/28/2008 5:39:22 PM   
ArticlePost

well in my school, we are doing a debate on weater we should be allowed ti hace cell phones in school or no so my group is aginst it. we had 2 research it and stuff and our pretty convincing1.safety issues like we found students were calling in bomb threts to the schools and also with drug dealing.

Post #: 11
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 1/29/2008 6:56:39 AM   
Lukero

In my school, we are allowed to have cellphones just that we can't use them during lessons.
And yes, I do think that teenagers nowadays do need cellphones for communication purposes although having a cellphone at too young a age can be a hazard to their health and is not necessary.

Post #: 12
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 1/31/2008 10:54:16 AM   
ArticlePost

i think we shoul because we might need to call home for some very bad reson.

kearstin

Post #: 13
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 2/1/2008 7:10:24 AM   
ArticlePost

Phones should not be banned at school but certainly should in classroom. I was watching a program on cnn last week that featured a company called phonebuster who claim to have developed a specific detector. Not too sure how this would work

Carly

Post #: 14
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 2/6/2008 12:49:20 PM   
ArticlePost

i think dat they shouldn't be band because wat if thre is an emergancy who might hav 2 tell ur parents or if you got lost on the wy hme frm skool u can ring ur mam up and tell her 2 come and pick u up or wat if someone had come in the class wth a gun ur teacher cant fone the police can she, JuST ThInk AbouT It...........

AnOyin Person

Post #: 15
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 2/11/2008 8:00:49 PM   
ArticlePost

HELLS TO THE YEA we should have cell phones cuz there can be a criminal anywhere they can do anything to child ,but if they have a cell phone they can call 911

Ashley

Post #: 16
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 2/14/2008 2:57:35 PM   
ArticlePost

i agree w/u too good job

lizzie

Post #: 17
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 2/18/2008 8:56:34 AM   
Marylite

Let's see, when I was young we didn't have cell phones, there were many times I had to run to a payphone in the hallway looking to make an emergency call home or parents job.  I had to walk home many times because the bus left me behind, the weather was horrible in NJ, whether it was raining or snow, I had to walk.  If I had a phone all it would take is one phone call.  During gym class I had an emergency but couldn't do anything about it because I couldn't go out of the class to make a call.  If I had a cell phone during all those times, things would have gone much much better for me.  So, my response to this cell phone use in class, is YES of course, my kids never had any problems in class because of a cell phone.  Our children know when to turn them on, and for those that don't, then just take them away from them until the end of class, PERIOD!

Post #: 18
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 3/3/2008 11:56:41 AM   
ArticlePost

I agree with your statement about students having cell phones in school. Because I'm a student myself and I think we should have our cell phones for emergency purposes also. But yes, I really do agree with your statement on students having cell phones @ school.

Sha'von

Post #: 19
RE: Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones? - 3/3/2008 3:52:51 PM   
ArticlePost

yes I think we should be allowed to cell phones in scool but not during class only after class and during passing period

wanda

Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [News] >> Family Issues >> Should Schools Allow Students to Have Cell Phones?
Jump to:
Topics 
What To Do When Your Parents Still Love Your Ex-Husband!
I and my husband was separated for 3 months now, he was the love of my life and the father of my ...
Losing Childhood
Now I am a teenager and now I realise that my childhood was not as good as it could be now i am t ...
She Won’t Leave Him Alone! Coping With the Ex-Wife
I have been with my boyfriend for 6 plus months, moved in with him in December 2016. I am good wi ...
“Separated” Married Couples
I highly doubt it "works". People just say that to save face. There is no way a couple ...
Parents and the Only Child
I really enjoyed this article. As a (37 year old male) only child I can relate to so much of what ...