E-mail: Password:
All Forums >> [News] >> Family Issues >> Parents and the Only Child
Parents and the Only Child     Tree Style Printable Version
Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Display name
Message << Previous Topic   Next Topic >>
Parents and the Only Child - 3/19/2008 12:35:58 PM   
ArticlePost

When raising an only child parents may worry that the child will be lonely. They may even feel guilty for not having another child, often feeling that they are depriving their child of the social interaction of growing up with siblings. While an only child may not have siblings to play with there ar

Parents and the Only Child
http://articles.familylobby.com/126-Parents-and-the-Only-Child.htm
  Post #: 1
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 3/19/2008 12:35:58 PM   
ArticlePost

good story

stephany

(in reply to ArticlePost)
  Post #: 2
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 9/17/2008 4:39:38 PM   
ArticlePost

I'm really asking my self If I want another child in our family life. Right now I feel fine with my 3 year old boy...and this is one of the best articles I've read about only child families, THANK YOU. It help me a lot.

Luz

Post #: 3
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 9/17/2008 11:45:35 PM   
ArticlePost

my only daughter always want a sibling but four unsucsess pregnencies not make it possible and i feel guilty about it your article provide a soothing efecft to my inner-self THANKS

MJ

Post #: 4
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 3/25/2009 10:34:08 AM   
ArticlePost

our only 11 years old daughter is confident with her life by not having sibilings, but she is not focused in her education (6th grade. I always regret if she has sibiling she will be more focused? Idon't know. The article is very helpful,any workshop how to deal with your only child?thanks

myfault

Post #: 5
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 3/25/2009 12:03:04 PM   
ChristineB

We are raising our 3 year old grandchild and he is technically an only child.  I know he does get lonely but we try to keep him involved in activities and play with him. I'm sure he will grow to be a well adjusted young man, no matter if he is the only child or not.

Post #: 6
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 6/30/2009 3:00:27 PM   
ArticlePost

i am an only child but sometimes i feel i carry the weight of the world on my shoulders i know i am extremely intelligent and people in this world need to realize what is happening to it, like trying to stop goverment mind control device and DUMBS, deep underground military bases in Dulce, New Mexico

frank

Post #: 7
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 7/1/2009 11:36:50 AM   
ChristineB

Hi Frank, I have never heard of DUMBS...can you share more?

Post #: 8
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 7/14/2010 8:45:40 AM   
ArticlePost

Thank you so much for this article. I have one child and he is now 22 months. I am not able to have more. I have been feeling so guilty. I have been worrying that he would be so lonely. I grew up in a large family and so did my husband and can not imagine life without our siblings. It is nice to know you can still have a happy life as an only child. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this article.

TAMMY

Post #: 9
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 9/5/2010 8:43:50 PM   
ArticlePost

I have a little girl who is alnost 5. I have been trying for another child for 3 1/2 years with 8 miscarriages. We are ready to give up but I always worry about her being an only child. This article makes me feel better.

hl

Post #: 10
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 9/9/2010 9:30:30 AM   
ChristineB

We have an only child too.  I used to worry but there are alot of activities, sports etc to keep him plenty busy!

The Traveling Pendant
My Mom's dying wish....

Post #: 11
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 5/6/2011 8:20:55 AM   
ArticlePost

I this article really puts things in perspective. I have an only who is 3 yrs old. My husband and I talked about having 2 children, but due to complications during pregnancy and miscarriges we are very satisfied with our one and only daughter. I also look at it like if we were able to have another that child I wouldn't have the time to spend with that child like I did with my daughter because finacially we would be strapped and I would have to go back to work, where as I get to be a stay at home mom now with my daughter.

Laura

Post #: 12
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 5/7/2011 12:37:00 AM   
fiery

quote:

ORIGINAL: ArticlePost

I this article really puts things in perspective. I have an only who is 3 yrs old. My husband and I talked about having 2 children, but due to complications during pregnancy and miscarriges we are very satisfied with our one and only daughter. I also look at it like if we were able to have another that child I wouldn't have the time to spend with that child like I did with my daughter because finacially we would be strapped and I would have to go back to work, where as I get to be a stay at home mom now with my daughter.

Laura

Laura, I was like you. I intended to have more than one as well but due to complications I never did. My son didn't miss out I don't feel. He has cousins we're close to and that's as good as having a sibling I reckon. And he wouldn't have got half the stuff he got or the same attention I'm sure if I'd had to spread myself thinner because of other kids. Be happy just as you are with your family. :)

Post #: 13
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 5/7/2011 1:51:08 AM   
ScottJames

A really good and interesting story to read. I think the parents who have only one child will suffer alot because the don't want to loss him or her and they will fulfill all his or her demand, which makes a child stubble.

California divorce - Divorce papers for colorado

Post #: 14
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 5/9/2011 8:35:19 AM   
ChristineB

I agree with you Kay. As you know we have one, and I like devoting my full attention to him.

Scott I'm not sure exactly what you're saying but our son is certainly not spoiled or stubborn, in fact quite the apposite!

The Traveling Pendant
My Mom's dying wish....

(in reply to ScottJames)
  Post #: 15
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 7/9/2011 2:55:15 AM   
ArticlePost

As an only child of a second marriage I was 18 years younger than my 1/2 siblings. My folks worked and took shifts that dovetailed with one another so I was a latchkey child for 2-3 hours during school and went to work with my dad during the summer while he completed custodial responsibilities at the junior high to which he was assigned. I spent time devouring books in the library, assisted the secretary inventorying and preparing school book texts for the fall, and also cleaned and emptied lockers for the next students. My time was filled creatively with ballet classes and then piano lessons, Rainbow Girls, brownies & Girl Scouts and listening to adult study groups. I, too, had only one child and 2 miscarriages. The childhood of my little girl was turbulent because of a spouse addicted to alcohol and who set up a great tug of war psychologically as the controlling, threatening And "Disneyland Dad". The three years of separate living and divorce negotiations were especially troublesome; afterwards time was given to healing. She is the proud Mom of three girls who are growing into beautiful young ladies. I am the enemy still as the "disciplinarian, work addicted (I needed 3 part time jobs to keep a roof over our heads, and the "non-fun to be around parent--it's a lifetime sentence so I haven't seen my granddaughters or daughter in 5 years. Every family is different; sometimes it's a Dance of Anger and Revenge for unknown reasons. That 's when the creativity, self-occupational activities and self-reliance learned in childhood returns to enable peace and productive lifestyle to prevail.

Deidre Roberts Smith

Post #: 16
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 5/1/2012 6:47:14 PM   
ArticlePost

I started to realise how alone I felt as an only child when I hit high school. I think I was hit with every stereotype going, the spoiled only child, I was a fair bit overweight as well so I was automatically lazy even though I wasn't. I can honestly say now in my 20's that high school was sh*t, and has really affected me mentally. No one to talk to growing up, parents are always "we can talk" even though they can't because they are parents and parents first, I had no one on my level to talk to. Sure I had friends but they weren't family. I am smart with a heightened sense of perception, I am not proud of any of it because it makes my life just horrible because no one around me is like that and the fact in society if you aren't a textbook, run of the mill, sort of person then you are some freak because you form your own opinion based on facts. People who grew up around me wonder why i am the way I am, but all they have to do is use their brain and think but that too much to ask.I hate being not nice to someone even in self defence verbally or otherwise. So many seem to be so...so...I don't want to say stupid but you know what I mean, people don't think for themselves and are taken in by all the lies the world pumps out without a second thought.An only child should be called a lonely child, I have not met a fellow only child who is not quiet and reserved and is living only to exist.Any parents to be out there reading this, have TWO KIDS, do not think "Oh we'll be the person for him/her to talk to" because you will always be a peer and someone who they will not want to share information with that could be ridiculed. I base this on personal experience and I wish I had a time machine to go back and make my parents have another child.Dean.

Dean

Post #: 17
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 7/6/2012 6:05:11 AM   
ArticlePost

This article is really heart touching , feelings of parents having one child are very nicely coated in this article. Thanks for sharing this article.

Furniture Removal

Post #: 18
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 10/31/2012 9:41:41 PM   
ArticlePost

I have an 9 year old only child. I opted not to have a 2nd child because I hated the idea of putting my baby in a daycare. I'm a teacher and I need to work. I feel like a failure. I'm almost 40 so for me having another child is out of the question. I love my boy so much but my heart aches whenever I get the slightest inkling my boy is feeling lonely. I think about how he will turn out as a grown up. I've apologized countless times to him for not giving him a sibling. I just can't rid myself of the guilt and saddness.

Guilty

Post #: 19
RE: Parents and the Only Child - 2/21/2013 2:07:01 PM   
ArticlePost

I am an only child and a mother to an only child, I was most popular in high school and class president twice. As an adult i am very close with friends and cousins. I am raising my daughter the same way. I liked being an only sometimes and didnt like it at others. i am very outgoing and successful. I adore my parents and i love having my own child. If you are having an an only just remember to play with them, have lots of friends around and DO NOT WORRY.....its not a diease to be an only. its kind of special. Im very happy....always was.

shana

Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [News] >> Family Issues >> Parents and the Only Child
Jump to:
Topics 
Praying For Married Believers
PRAYING FOR MARRIED BELIEVERS! Your loving and faithful Apostle, James R Winfree Sr, Awesome F ...
“Separated” Married Couples
I highly doubt it "works". People just say that to save face. There is no way a couple ...
Parents and the Only Child
I really enjoyed this article. As a (37 year old male) only child I can relate to so much of what ...
Stop Bring It Up!
I Know this Is Difficult For Us To Do, Forgive and Forget. Shared by your serving Apostle, James ...
LORD,Bless Us With More Than Enough!!!
Lord Jesus, Bless Us Your Chosen People With More Than Enough, So That We Will Become Your Blessi ...